Sunday, October 21, 2007

I went to the Noah Feldman thing on Thursday night. Rather, it was supposed to be a Noah Feldman thing, but unfortunately it was not: respresented as a "Debate on Jewish Values", it really was basically a very general discussion on the differing opinions of the three panelists on what that consists of, with no particular highlight on Feldman. In spite of the fact that the woman sitting next to me was there exclusively to hear Steinhardt, the philanthropist, I am absolutely positive that everyone in that auditorium was really there to see what would happen with Feldman. He was the notorious persona non grata this summer, the guy so many people loved to hate - even people who didn't condemn him, like my brother, talked about him with intense fervor and used the article as a springboard for further discussion. But no. The so-called debate included bare references to his article, Boteach putting him on a pedestal, and a whole lot of people wanting more, especially since he was a rather good speaker. So I'm bitter, get over it.
Funny thing was, he reminded me very much of my other brother. Or maybe it was just the way it was so unexpected to hear flawless Tanach and Gemara quotes issuing from someone who looks as he does.

No comments: